PE, school sport and Physical activity - Spring 2022
Date: 25th Mar 2022 @ 4:31pm
PE, School Sport and Physical Activity at Prospect Vale – Spring term 2022
We’ve had a super busy term at P.V..
All classes have ensured the children are getting their twice weekly PE lessons and lots of opportunities to get outside and be as active as possible.
So what’s been going on across school?
- In Nursery, the children have continued to work on the basic fundamental skills, focusing on gross motor movement. The children enjoy regular outdoor sessions, allowing them time to walk, run, climb, ride bikes and scooters and explore our outside provision. They have started having weekly dance sessions with Mrs O’Hare on a Wednesday too, which they have loved!
- In Reception the children have been continuing to use some low level apparatus in the hall and used their bodies to move to music.
- Year 1 have been working really hard in gymnastics, using the apparatus to move in a variety of different ways. Skills and confidence has soared! They have also worked on ball handling skills and had lots of time outside orienteering, using all the areas we are very lucky to have at Prospect Vale.
- Year 2 have also hugely increased their gymnastic skill level and confidence, using all the apparatus in the hall in a variety of ways. The children have learned how to set up the low level equipment safely and in an interesting way. Year 2 have done dance, making ‘wake-up, shake-up’ routines and have performed these to other classes. They have also worked on ball handling skills.
- Year 3 have made huge progress in gymnastics and are showing some amazing advanced skills! They have been trained to set up the apparatus safely and can do this in an exciting way. Year 3 have done dance – more ‘Wake-up, shake-up’ and are able to perform well to music. They have also done orienteering and ball skills.
- Year 4 have worked a lot with Mrs O’Hare over the last term (alongside Mrs Pammenter & Mrs White) and have shown lots of progression with their gymnastic skills. They have gone through all the basics and use the apparatus in a variety of ways. In the last few weeks they have been working on a fabulous ‘Electricity dance’ which the children have choreographed and performed
- Year 5 have been taking the opportunity to use the amazing outdoor facilities we have at PV, particularly the Forest school area. This term Year 5 have gone swimming every Friday and there has been progress made with the pupils swimming skills and water confidence.
- Year 6 have focused on Invasion games, in particular rugby and basketball. They have developed knowledge of decision making and game tactics enabling them to work together as a team. PE and time outside have been invaluable for Year 6 as they prepare for their upcoming SATs!
Competitions and extra opportunities
- Year 2 represented our school at the Year 1/2 Sportshall athletics competition @ Laurus, Cheadle Hulme.
- Pupils from all our KS2 classes were selected to represent P.V at the Stockport SHAPES Key Steps gymnastics competition held at Stockport Gymnastics club. Team P.V had a fantastic competition winning and taking 2nd place in every category – Year 3/4 and Year 5/6 and 2 of our gymnasts won the individual highest scoring competitors of the whole competition!
- Pupils from Year 5/6 attended the Chill Factore Winter Olympics organised by Stockport SHAPES. That allowed the children to try skiing, tobogganing and climbing.
- All of KS2 have had manual handling training, how to set up the apparatus safely in the hall (and use it) and successfully put it away. The children were asked to design stations for our younger pupils and worked in teams to achieve this. Pupils were assessed and awarded a certificate!
- Pupils from KS2 were given the opportunity to work in small groups to advance their gymnastics, ready for the Key Steps competition. They modified their routines after the competition and performed them to their class peers.
Mrs O’Hare has continued to be at school on a Wednesday working with KS2 classes and the teaching staff in the morning. Mrs O’Hare and I team teach selected groups in the afternoons on a weekly basis.
More exciting competitions and activities are planned for the next term including more of our popular Charity runs, Sports Days and special events days….