PE, School sport and Physical activity at PV - Autumn 2022
Date: 21st Dec 2022 @ 9:09am
PE, School Sport and Physical Activity at Prospect Vale –
Autumn term 2022
It’s been another very busy term at PV. The children have all been focused and active, despite some Great British weather causing disruption towards the end of the term!
What has been happening at PV?
- In Nursery as always, the children have been working on basic fundamental skills, focusing on gross motor movement. Fundamental movement skills are a specific set of skills that involve different body parts such as feet, legs, body, head, arms and hands. These skills are the “building blocks” for more complex and specialised skills that children will need throughout their lives to competently participate in different games, sports and recreational activities. The children enjoy regular outdoor sessions, allowing them time to walk, run, climb, ride bikes and scooters and explore our outside provision. Nursey have also enjoyed time having some dance sessions with myself and Mrs O’Hare using themes Pirates, witches and wizards, unicorns, fairies and giants.
- In Reception we continue to focus on fundamental skills and really progressing the basics – different ways to move, balance and climb. The children have taken part in basic gymnastics sessions, outdoor play and dance. They also enjoyed some dance sessions as above, with myself and Mrs O’Hare and it was lovely to spend time in smaller groups with some of our younger children.
- Year 1 have worked on a number of different skills including gymnastics, games, dance and basic orienteering. We have focused on balance, movement, travel and spatial awareness alongside safety. The children’s confidence has grown considerably with indoor and outdoor PE and they continue to progress and gain more advanced skills. We have also worked on teamwork – playing games cooperatively, carefully and working as a team which is developing their understanding of rules and purpose of a game.
- Year 2 have also been working on a number of different types of PE – including gymnastics, dance and games. In gymnastics they have been developing their skills further, using different methods of travel and balance with care, perfected rolling and we even introduced Vaulting! They have been linking skills together on the floor and on apparatus and can choose elements to go into a sequence. Year 2 are very enthusiastic about PE and this shows in their enjoyment of the lessons.
- Year 3 have been working on advanced gymnastic skills on the floor and on apparatus. They are able to construct good routines and sequences and evaluate their own skills with the ability to improve quality and technique. Vaulting was also introduced successfully. Year 3 also worked on athletics skills – Run, jump, throw and have looked at some ball games such as tennis which went alongside the class ‘British Sporting hero’ Fred Perry which they had been learning about.
- Year 4 have been attending swimming lessons every Friday at Cheadle swimming pool and have been progressing well. They have enjoyed dance lessons to run alongside their ‘rivers’ topic and worked on outdoor invasion games. Skill development of invasion games include sending, passing, throwing and kicking. Travelling with a ball, dodging and marking, and spatial awareness and decision making.
- Year 5 have worked on athletics skills and advancing their running, throwing and jumping. They have played games which have involved the importance of teamwork, understanding rules and objectives and have taken part in Orienteering and problem solving activities. Mrs O’Hare worked with Year 5 delivering dance. In pairs/threes they choreographed their own dance using the Football World cup as their theme. They planned, refined and performed their routine in front of other classes in the school.
- Year 6 focused heavily on gymnastics. Working in pairs and small groups, the children explored counterbalance and counter tension on the floor and then skilfully developed their ideas onto the apparatus. Mrs O’Hare worked extensively with the class really extending their gymnastic skills and they have all made significant progress. Year 6 have also had basketball lessons working on the basic background and main principles of play to allow for effective participation in small-sided invasion games.
Across the school-
We had another fabulous ‘Santa Dash’ with all children taking part during the day. This year it was great to involve the parents and offer a ‘Family run’ at the end of the day. Thank you to our amazing parents as the turnout was INCREDIBLE!
On the day, sponsorship money collected for this year’s chosen charity SHELTER raised a phenomenal £567.00. Again, a huge Thank you to our generous families, friends and wider community.
- Emma from Wilmslow Lightning Netball club came into school and did sessions with Years 1, 2 and 3.
- Year 3 represented Prospect Vale at the Year 3/4 Sportshall athletics competition at Aquinas college.
- All children from Nursery to Year 6 took part in our ‘World Cup football fun day’ where they took part in a series of football skills and challenges to earn points for their team. Every child picked a country from the World Cup and our winning team was Spain.
This term we had a number of After School clubs running –
- KS2 Cheerleading and dance
- Year 5/6 Boccia
- KS2 Boys football
- KS2 Girls only football
- Multi sports for Reception – Year 6
Myself and Mrs O’Hare have continued team teaching on a Wednesday and have worked with Nursery and reception, Year 3 and groups of children across KS2 for additional gymnastics.
A programme of sessions ‘Active 30’ are ready to begin after Christmas.
**More exciting competitions, activities and clubs are planned for the next term……