PE and sport at PV - Spring 2023
Date: 30th Jun 2023 @ 9:23am
PE and Sport at Prospect Vale – Spring term 2023
What a great start to the New Year!
- In Nursery, we have really been working hard on climbing and balance and introduced lots of new apparatus in the hall. The children have worked really hard challenging themselves and building up lots of confidence. As always, we use our great outdoor areas to get as much time to use our gross motor skills as much as we can. Nursery have also had the chance to work with Mrs O’Hare.
- In Reception a big focus has been continuing working those fundamental skills and really progressing the basics – different ways to move, balance, climb and dismount. The children are really developing their independence skills and organising themselves. We have started to introduce the larger equipment and even used the big blue climbing frame! Reception have also had the chance to work with Mrs O’Hare.
- Year 1 have been progressing their gymnastic skills further and have worked hard on climbing, balance and travelling. We have introduced the large equipment, including the big blue climbing frame, and the children are beginning to organise and set up their own equipment safely in groups. We have also done dance and yoga.
- Year 2 have worked on progressing gymnastics, yoga and dance. We looked at how to make up a ‘Wake-up, shake-up’ routine in small groups. The children used the larger apparatus and worked together to design and set up their own sequences, organising and safely moving and fixing the apparatus how they wanted it! Year 2 continue to have ‘Fun fit Friday’ weekly which involves an active full day of learning.
- Year 3 worked really hard on lots of different elements of gymnastics. They also looked at safe setting up and use of apparatus. They worked extremely hard on movement and how to use different parts of their bodies. Year 3 also worked on dance and how to create a ‘Wake-up-shake-up’ routine.
- Year 4 have focused on gym and dance. They have worked on gym sequences and movement and created a wonderful Greek myth dance working with Mrs O’Hare on a Wednesday. The children really displayed some fantastic dance skills as they performed for the rest of the school.
- Year 5 have continued working on outdoor skills with Mr Gray as he develops Forest School activities across PV. The children have worked hard on challenging themselves and using different skills and building up resilience. Year 5 have also been swimming and have done dance also.
- Year 6 have working on gymnastics with Mrs O’Hare. They have also done basketball and hockey skills in curriculum time. The Year 6’s have worked hard on their leadership skills also and had opportunities to work with the younger members of the school.
Smile for a mile continues throughout school.
Friday whole school wake-up-shake-up takes place before school in the playground every week.
- 30 children from Year 2 – Year 6 were selected to represent Prospect Vale at the Stockport SHAPES annual Key Steps gymnastics competition, held at Stockport gymnastics club. All the children performed brilliantly and were a credit to PV. It was a fabulous morning and gave the children an opportunity to perform in a ‘real’ gymnastics club!
- Year 4 attended the Stockport schools dance festival which we hosted here at PV. Jude at SHAPES was that impressed, she invited the children to perform on The Plaza stage at the end of year PE awards in the summer!
- 12 selected girls from Years 3-6 attended the ‘Let girls play’ girls only football training session at St James High school. They were trained to deliver football sessions and have started to deliver these on a Friday to all girls across the school.
- Our Girls football leadership team organised and delivered a Girls only football day across the whole school doing mini skills sessions from Nursery to Year 6!
- Our Sports leaders delivered a similar day of activities for the boys (following some very upset budding footballers) and did a full day of football skills for the boys from Nursery to Year 6.
- The whole school took part in our ‘Easter fun run extravaganza’ which involved our regular circuit with some added activities on eggs. (When I said Easter eggs would be involved this wasn’t what the children were expecting!). Everyone form Nursery to Year 6 took part, some dressed up in their favourite Easter costumes.
- Our sports leaders attended a session with Stockport SHAPES and were trained in how to deliver sports activities for children back at school.
- Reception and Year 1 had 2 fun filled days of balance bike training with ‘Bikeright’ which enabled them to gain confidence in riding a bike.
- Marianne Lea from Cheshire Cricket board came into school for a full day every Monday for a full half term to deliver cricket sessions for children from Year 2 – Year 5. She also gave the children an opportunity to increase those skills by delivering an after school club.
I have already secured another full day with Marianne in the next academic year!
Mrs O’Hare has continued to come into school on a Wednesday and does a series of Teach team activities with Mrs Hall, alongside CPD for selected staff members.
We continue to be busy after school - KS1 Cheerleading and dance on Monday, Football club on a Tuesday, KS2 Cheerleading on Thursday and Multi-skills on a Friday.
PE and sport continues to be a huge part of the children’s learning here at Prospect Vale and we look forward to warmer days in the summer term for lots of outdoor activities, competitions and sports days!
Mrs Hall ?